The Hunt



More than 18 months ago I had started writing to voice out my opinions on the issues prevailing in the society. But soon after that life took such twists and turns which gave me little time to worry about the society and compelled me to engage in the pursuit of finding my life goal. Engineering life was coming to an end so it was essential to find a path I desired. Coming from a family where last 7 generations were either self-employed or businessmen, it had to happen that I wanted to take the same route.

Thus opting out of college placements I went for a sales job in Mumbai and Thane in the pursuit of hunting for ideas while exploring. The shift from a comfortable student life in a relatively calmer city of Pune to the life of a Sales Executive in the busiest city in India was unimaginably rough. It was the hardest I was ever hit and it made me curse my decision. For a guy who was used to get above average results with minimum efforts it wasn’t easy to work 12 hours a day, trying to sell a product, talking to tons of people every day and returning home with no result. At the end of my 1st month every Sales Executive except me had at least 1 deal in his pocket. Seeing a 0 in front of my name even after 40 days of work, when others were reaching 2-digits, sucked. In the extremely busy life of Mumbai with never-ending combination of rain and sweat, travelling in the locals with the inhumanly high population density, trying to prove that you are worth something yet failing on a daily basis was enough to break me down every single night in the rented room.

Every day with the moral support of my parents and a close friend I used to set off for one more attempt. And as we all have heard, hard-work and perseverance eventually pays off, I ended the 2nd month with 333% target achievement and was a contender for the Champ of the Month award. Within such short span of time I got to learn a lot of things which changed my views, gave me a broader vision, taught me to consider multiple perspectives while considering a situation and most importantly it gave me an opportunity to meet and interact with a tons of people. Within a span of 54 days I must have spoken to nearly 2000 people and met 200 of them. It gave me access to the various kinds of industries we have, the different cultures in which people work, the change in ideologies of generations within the working community which is an important aspect you need to understand if you have to start a venture of your own.

Taking that experience I came back to Pune to work in a multi-national Indian IT firm and later on in a multi-national American Consultancy firm. These changes kept on adding to my experience making it richer in terms of quality and quantity. It helped me realize that with the new generation coming in, the literacy rate constantly increasing there is a change in the society. There are people from poorer sections who are looking up for jobs to live a secured life; those with a secured life are trying to stabilize it further by trying to improve their skills to be the best at what they do. Then there are few who are on the path of becoming world leaders by hustling day in day out. India is struggling in one way or the other to live a better life, the outcome of which will be reflected in the next decade.

Amidst all this hunting, I’ve had multiple ideas, started working on couple of them but didn’t go too far ahead. Instead chose to move on to new ideas. Even now I’m still hunting. But there are few things which I felt like sharing with the rest of the people who are in search of something better, either a job or an idea:
1.       Never settle down, constantly try to improve, change and outperform yourself.
2.       Working ethically with utmost integrity is what will eventually lead you to success.
3.       Never stop the hunt; circumstances, people, ideas, perspectives will keep on changing but never stop the hunt. Keeping the fire alive will create wonders for you.

And I’m wishing one day I’ll be able to add one more point to the list:

                You are never 100% ready to take the big leap, so you should take the risk just when it feels right without over-analyzing the situation. Good luck to all the readers in whatever they are pursuing; let’s keep hunting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reservation System: Government Approved Crutches

Achhe Din Jaroor Ayenge!

Don't Lose Yourself